It’s a liberating idea, isn’t it? Hopping out of bed, walking down the hall and sitting down at a computer to start your work day? For one in five Americans, this is a reality. Working from home has become a viable option in this Work 3.0 culture and made all the easier by the latest business communications technologies like virtualization and unified communications. But working remotely isn’t for everyone. If your company offers a remote option, weigh the benefits and possible drawbacks first.
Pros of Working From Home
- The ability to make your own hours.
- Lack of a commute saves time and money.
- More expenses may be tax deductible.
- Save money with a smaller career wardrobe.
- More time spent with family and possibly fewer daycare expenses.
Cons of Working From Home
- Less structure can lead to more temptation to become distracted.
- Working in a space that doubles as a living space can become tiresome.
- Lack of face time with coworkers can lead to feelings of isolation and an absence of camaraderie.
- It’s easy to get too comfortable and then fall into a rut (but let’s be honest…that can happen at home and in a traditional office.
- There may be more pressure to “prove yourself” professionally if most other employees are in-office.
The decision to work at home is not one that should be made lightly. Doing business is doing business, but doing that business from home presents some unique challenges.
If you’re a company owner who is considering developing a remote telecommuting program, be sure to read “Tips for Implementing a Telecommuting Program” and call BCS to help you create the most effective strategy. The communications technologies we offer enhance the benefits of working from home and mitigate the drawbacks. In fact, our Unified Communications and conference room solutions can make it feel as though an employee working from across the country is right there in the office. In the digital age, things like geography are virtually relative. Let BCS streamline communication in and out of your office. Contact us today.